Work With Us
There are no open admin roles at this time.
Become a House Host!
Love the House? Love talking to people? Want a Front of House experience for your resume? All of the above? We'd love your help! We rely on our House Hosts to perform the duties of a house manager (greeting, seating assistance, etc.), as well as to start conversations and bring communities together! Even if you've never seen a House show before but would love the chance to host, we can make that happen. You'll get a T-shirt, and you and a friend will get to watch the show for free! If you're interested, apply by sending us an email at email@example.com. Be sure to include your contact information, any House shows you've seen before, what performances you'd like to host (we ask for a minimum of three for one run), and anything else you'd like us to know!
Click here to sign up for updates about internships at the House!
WINTER/SPRING 2019 INTERNSHIP APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
The House Theatre of Chicago’s internship program is designed to provide a collaborative, entrepreneurial experience for aspiring young theatremakers. The House is looking for undergraduate students, and recent college graduates interested in learning about and participating in the day-to-day functions of a growing professional theater. Our interns work directly with their department directors to advance the initiatives of each department, and collaboratively across departments with other staff and members of their internship class.
Successful candidates will be self-starters and strong communicators who are confident in their interpersonal skills and have a passion for the work of The House and its unique storytelling style. They will also be familiar with Google Apps and Microsoft Office Suite.
All internships are 12-20 hours per week, including additional hours for special events. Internships are unpaid; college credit may be arranged through your institution.
All internships require you to bring your own laptop.
- Tickets to House productions
- Experience working in an open learning environment for a nonprofit arts organization
- And the opportunity to meet and work with established artists, nonprofit professionals and our outstanding board of directors.
- Possibility of college credit
SPECIAL EVENTS / DEVELOPMENT INTERN
Duties will include support in the planning and execution of our annual benefit on April 27th. Please do not apply for the Special Events Intern position unless you are available for the full day of April 27th, and have good availability for the week immediately prior and following.
The House Theatre of Chicago’s internship program is designed to provide a collaborative, entrepreneurial experience for aspiring young theatremakers. The House is looking for undergraduate students and recent college graduates interested in learning about and participating in the day-to-day functions of a growing professional theater. Our interns work directly with their department directors to advance the initiatives of each department, and collaboratively across departments with other staff and members of their internship class. This position will work closely with the Development Manager and Managing Director on event planning and our annual gala.
February 1, 2019 to May 11, 2019, with some flexibility on dates: 10-12 hours per week. Most work should take place on weekdays during normal office hours (Monday-Friday between 9a-5p), with occasional nights and weekends. The weeks surrounding the gala (April 15- May 3) additional hours will be required, and full availability is required for the day of the event (April 27). Exceptions can be made for other commitments.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Interest in event management and donor relations
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and manage deadlines
- Keen attention to detail
- Experience using Microsoft Excel and Word and Google Drive
- Experience using Total Info would be a plus
- An extroverted person will be most comfortable in this role
- Support the Annual Fundraising Benefit Event
- Reach out to businesses and individuals to ask for auction donations
- Track the receipt and delivery of items to silent auction winners Prepare items and forms for display at event.
- Assist with other event-related tasks such as event promotion, décor, volunteer coordination and logistics.
- Day of event: help with set-up, breakdown, and coordination of the Silent Auction
- Prepare and send donor acknowledgments
- Make calls to donors and businesses regarding donations
- Log activities in database
Application Deadline: Please submit resume and cover letter as PDFs via email to lizzie (at) thehousetheatre dot com by Friday, January 4, 2019. No phone calls, please.
Marketing and Audience Development Intern
This position will work primarily with the Director of Marketing and Audience Development to promote The House Theatre of Chicago and its programs to new and existing audiences. The internship will provide exposure to a wide range of tactics and methods including Ad buys, Email campaigns, direct promotion and sales, group outreach and more.
Minimum ten (10) weeks. May begin according to your school break. Approximately 12-20 hours per week on weekdays during normal office hours (Monday-Friday between 10a-6p), with additional hours for special events and rehearsal/performance attendance.
Desired Skills and Experience
- An organized self-starter with an interest in talking to Chicago theatre audiences.
- Innovative and bold communication skills
- Target Research
- Identify potential targets
- Research targets
- Assist with communications strategy and messages
- Promotional emails
- Reporting open and click-thru rates
- Social Media management
- Partnership outreach
- Promotion creation
- Including targeted messaging
- Graphic layout
- Media selections (photo and video)
- Support Open House events and Opening Nights
- Attend Staff Meetings as available
- Attend weekly Marketing/Mng. Dir. meeting as available
Application Deadline: Please submit a resume and cover letter as PDFs via email to chelsea (at) thehousetheatre.com by Friday, December 28. No phone calls, please.
Interested in appearing on stage at The House? Audition notices are posted on the Chicago Plays website and occasionally via our Facebook page, too. You can also submit your headshot and resume electronically to:
Marika Mashburn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We occasionally need help sawing wood and hammering nails in the week before a show. If you want to assist with some carpentry for the arts, contact production manager Jeremy Wilson. email@example.com
Are you excellent at cold-calling? Do you just love licking envelopes? If you’d like to contribute your time during one of The House’s subscription or donation campaigns, or have other skills you can contribute and think we need to know about, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!