Access services provided at The House:
- Open Captioning is for people who have any level of hearing loss, but don't necessarily use sing language. During an open captioned show the text of the dialogue as well as descriptions of sounds are displayed in time with the action of the show.
- Audio Description is for patrons who are blind or have low vision; patrons can listen to trained audio describers give live, verbal descriptions of actions, costumes, scenery, and other visual elements of a performance.
- Touch Tours are tactile explorations of scenic, costume, and property design, led by a member of the audience services staff. Touch Tours typically take place prior to an Audio Described performance.
- Relaxed/Sensory-friendly Performances are designed to create an environment that is welcoming to Autistic persons or folks with sensory sensitivities, their families and friends. During a relaxed performance changes will be made to the production to provide an experience that doesn't overwhelm the senses. Typically the house lights will be left on during the show and sound levels will be lowered.
- Large Print Programs for those with low vision are available for all performances. Ask at the box office when you pick up your tickets to check one out!
While don't have assisted listening devices on hand at either venue, we do seat everyone with in 5 rows of the stage at both of our venues. We are happy to hold front row seats for those with any level of hearing loss at your request. Email email@example.com to make the arrangement.
At the Chopin Theatre
While we don't assign seats, if you or someone in your group uses a wheelchair, prefers more time to navigate steps or has any other request that would be helped by a reserved seat, just let us know ahead of time.
Note that to access the lobby there are 6 steps with a center railing on the way into the Chopin Theatre from the street level. Once inside the doors there are 4 more stair to reach the box office and the theatre. There are no steps between the lobby and theatre space. Wheelchair access is available at the rear of the building via the stage door. If you are a wheelchair user and need to use the ramp, let us know—we will make arrangements to meet you at that door and get you in safely.
At the Palmer House
The Palmer House is fully accessible, with an elevator bank located on the south end of the lower lobby. The elevator can transport you between the check-in space and the performance space. Should you need it, we can easily reserve seating in the intimate Parlour to accommodate any needs.
Season 17 Accessible Performances
- Friday, Sept. 28, 2018: BOREALIS Open Captioned performance (8pm)
- Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018: BOREALIS Touch Tour (6pp) & Audio Described performance (7pm)
- Saturday, Oct. 13, 2018: THE MAGIC PARLOUR CART Captioned performance (4:30pm)
- Friday, Dec. 7, 2018: NUTCRACKER Open Captioned performance (7:30pm)
- Sunday, Dec. 2, 2018: NUTCRACKER Relaxed/Sensory-Friendly performance (3pm)
- Saturday, Dec. 15, 2018: NUTCRACKER Touch Tour (2pp) & Audio Described performance (3pm)
- Friday, May 3, 2019: PINOCCHIO Open Captioned performance (8pm)
- Sunday, May 5, 2019: PINOCCHIO Touch Tour (2pm) followed by our Relaxed/Sensory-Friendly and Audio Described performance (3pm)